Thursday, January 28, 2021

IKEA BEKANT Sit/Stand Desk (2021 Update)

I purchased an IKEA BEKANT Sit/Stand desk back in late 2014 as an update to my old GALANT desk and it has worked great over the last 6+ years (no PSU issues). I've updated my desk a bit since then and wanted to post a quick update for 2021.


Current Setup:

  • IKEA BEKANT Sit/Stand (Black-Brown/White)
  • Scandinavian Hub Cable Management NEW
  • Mount-It! MI-776 Hex Monitor Mount
  • (6) Dell P2418D
  • Dell AE515 Professional Soundbar
  • APC Back-UPS 550
  • Apple Mac Mini 2012 
  • Apple Mac Mini 2018 NEW
  • Logitech MX Keys Keyboard NEW
  • Logitech MX Master 3 Mouse NEW
  • Logitech C925-e Webcam NEW


I finally had to give up on my Mac Pro 2013, it was surprisingly slow when running Windows 10 in Boot Camp (which is what I run 99% of the time for work) compared to a 2019 MacBook pro I had used briefly as a replacement. The main attraction of the Mac Pro, for me, was the ability to run 6 monitors natively in a small form-factor without a bunch of other hardware/dongles.

The MacBook Pro 2019 worked well, but had it's own issues with supporting so many monitors using DisplayLink hubs/dongles, along with the heat and fan noise that would eventually ramp up.

I eventually moved on to a 2018 Mac Mini, which works well with the two Dell D6000 DisplayLink hubs that control 6 out of the 7 monitors. It's fast, quiet and has all the ports that I need. 

I've always wanted to be able to hide my PC/Mac desktop and the Mac Mini is perfect for this. I was  able to finally mount it underneath the desk to hide it away. It was such a good solution, I also mounted my 2012 Mac Mini which I use as an ESXi server for lab and personal VMs.

3 comments:

  1. I have a similar setup and I am looking for an under desk cable tray. Could you comment a bit about the swap between the Ikea Signum and the Scandinavian Hub cable tray? Any downsides to the Ikea Signum?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are both great options, but I found that the Scandinavian Hub cable tray provided more support and easier access to all the cables and PSU's.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for posting these updates as your setup has evolved. I'm considering a Bekant desk and really appreciate all of the insight!

    I'm curious about all of the various Mount-It! mounts you've used. Do you feel that the Bekant's table top itself and the way it mounts to the legs is sturdy enough to accommodate those various clamp-on mounts long term?

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete